Community footy snapshots
Bendigo Bank partnered with the Essendon Football Club to launch a literacy program designed to nurture primary school students' reading and writing skills. A purpose built novel called Pencil O’Reilly has been released for the program.
To celebrate Bendigo Bank's partnership with Essendon, and the launch of Pencil O'Reilly, the bank hosted an action packed day of footy at Essendon's headquarters, Windy Hill. More than 160 primary school students, from eight Victorian primary schools competed in the Bendigo Bank Community Cup.
Bendigo Bank’s Southport Branch partnered with Keebra Park State School to teach members of its rugby league team, winners of the national Schoolboy Rugby League Championship, about planning for their financial futures.
With many players hoping for a career in the NRL, Branch Manager and former Rugby League player, Tony Jensen, spoke with the students about a range of financial issues facing professional rugby league players.
The inaugural Gosnells Community Bank® Branch Rugby Scholarship was awarded to two Thornlie Senior High School students in May 2010. The scholarship recognises outstanding ability and potential on the rugby field and exceptional leadership within the school community.
Kingsway Community Bank® Branch and Joondalup branch have helped the Wanneroo football and cricket clubs rebuild their clubrooms after they were destroyed by vandals in late 2008. The branches provided a $2,500 sponsorship package to the clubs based at the ground and have established an ongoing income stream by providing the clubs with a commission on the business they brings to the branch.
In March 2010, the Logan Community Bank® branches partnered with the Rochedale Rovers Football Club to establish the Little Squirts soccer development program for children aged three to five. The program attracts more than 50 participants and 100 spectators each week.
Cooroy and Tewantin Community Bank® branches have re-signed as the major sponsor of the Noosa Tigers Football Club, providing the club with new goal post pads and a new scoreboard. Since their inception, Cooroy and Tewantin Community Bank® branches have returned more than $275,000 to the local community.
Geelong's Bendigo Bank branches are showing their support for the Geelong Soccer and Sports Club by returning a percentage of the profits generated from new accounts to the club. Funding provided by the bank will go towards upgrading the lighting at the club's home ground and creating better training facilities.
Also kicking goals
- Heyfield & District Community Bank® Branch - $5,000 contribution to local junior footy club for wet weather protection.
- Toora & District Community Bank® branch - $5,000 contribution for disabled lift.
- Beaumaris Community Bank® Branch - $3,000 contribution for defibrillator and spinal care stretcher for Beaumaris Football Club.
- Doncaster East Community Bank® Branch - $5,000 contribution toward running costs of the Donvale Football Club’s community bus.
- Strathmore Community Bank® Branch – sponsorship of Essendon Football Club’s ‘On the Ball’ program for health promotion.
- Wentworth & District Community Bank® Branch - $20,000 toward construction costs for new clubrooms at Gol Gol Hawks football reserve.
- Diamond Creek Community Bank® Branch – Helped Diamond Creek Women’s Football Club light up their new ground with a $20,000 contribution.
- Doreen & Mernda Community Bank® Branch – Proud sponsors of new local football club, Laurimar Power.
- Sunbury branch of Bendigo Bank – Provided a grant of $4,500 through its Community Enterprise project to kit out the Rupertswood Football Club’s FIDA team.
- Bendigo Bank’s South Morang branch – Arranged for Chris Judd to speak to the local junior football club following the devastation of the Black Saturday bushyfires.
- Pambula & District Community Bank® Branch – provides much needed sponsorship for the local football club, an important meeting place for the local community.
- Lockhart & District Community Bank® Branch – Contributed $7,000 towards a new kitchen at Lockhart Football Club.
- Cummins District Community Bank®