Supporting Community Radio
RPP FM is a local radio station with a focus on community activities, current affairs and culture. It broadcasts on 98.7 FM and 98.3 FM to the Mornington Peninsula, Frankston, suburbs of Kingston and wider Melbourne (including Geelong) and the communities of Westernport and Port Phillip Bays.
The region’s Community Bank® branches have had a long association with RPP FM, and our Melbourne–Peninsula cluster is delighted to continue that in 2018 with a $25,000 sponsorship. The station supports itself through membership fees, sponsorships, donations and by renting its equipment.
The station aims to:
- Promote harmony and diversity and contribute to an inclusive, cohesive and culturally-diverse Australian community
- Pursue the principles of democracy, access and equity, especially for people and issues not adequately represented in other media
- Enhance the diversity of programming choices available to the public and present programs that expand the variety of viewpoints broadcast in Australia
- Demonstrate independence in programming as well as in editorial and management decisions
- Support and develop local arts and music
- Increase community involvement in broadcasting
In 2018 the region’s Community Bank® branches will work with the station to promote our brand through station advertising, create awareness of our sponsorship activities, build the media skills and capacity of our Branch Managers and Directors, and to develop multimedia content for our digital channels.
“We are so lucky to have a community broadcaster of RPP’s calibre here in our region,” said Alex Godfrey from the Melbourne–Peninsula cluster. “And we look forward to working with them to share all the extraordinary stories from our Community Bank® network.”
“There are so many natural synergies between our sponsorships and RPP’s programming – particularly with local football and cricket – which is broadcast live on RPP’s YouTube channel every Saturday. So working with RPP is a really natural partnership for us,” Alex said.
In April a group of our Community Bank® Directors and Branch Managers participated in a radio studio orientation session – with the aim of building their confidence and skills for on air interviews.
We’re encouraging our region’s Branch Managers to engage their local community groups and sponsorship recipients to come in together for a chat on air at the station. This will help community groups publicise their cause and help us to share the stories of our sponsorships and support. Of course, it’s all great local community content for RPP FM.
You can find out more about RPP FM on their website. Or watch a video about them.