Buy your own home with just a 2% deposit.
Buy your own home sooner
Home ownership is a big challenge facing people living in New South Wales.
Saving for a large deposit can be daunting.
The NSW Government will ease that burden for eligible applicants with the launch of the NSW Shared Equity Home Buyer Helper on 23 January 2023.
So, if you’re a single parent caring for children, single aged 50 years or older, or a first home buyer who’s employed as a key worker, check your eligibility and take the next step to owning your own home.
Here's how it works
If you have a 2% deposit, the NSW Government will contribute up to 40% for a new home or 30% for an existing home.
Shared equity means the Government has a percentage share of your home equivalent to what they’ve contributed.
Lenders Mortgage Insurance is not required, potentially saving you additional thousands.
To be eligible you must;
- be at least one of the following:
- a single parent caring for a dependent child or children,
- a single person (not married or in a de facto relationship) aged 50 years or older, or
- a first home buyer who’s employed as a key worker (teacher, early childhood educator, nurse, police officer, paramedic);
- meet the Bank's lending criteria and be able to afford to repay the loan;
- live in the property;
- be an Australian citizen or a permanent resident (including New Zealand citizens with a special category visa), at least 18 years old;
- not own or part-own any property (including land) in Australia or overseas (and the same applies to your spouse);
- have a gross annual income that’s not more than $93,200 for singles and not more than $124,200 for couples;
- buy a home that’s less than $950,000 in Sydney and major regional centres (Newcastle, Lake Macquarie, Illawarra, Central Coast, North Coast of NSW) or less than $600,000 in other regional areas;
- have not received any other government financial support to buy the property such as the Home Guarantee Scheme;
- demonstrate your ability to save over time, and have a minimum deposit of 2% of the total property price;
- be able to pay for all costs associated with purchasing your home such as conveyancing, legal costs, building inspections and stamp duty (if applicable);
- have financial assets that are under:
- 30% of the total property price if your income is more than $93,200 p.a.,
- 45% of the total property price if your income is up to $93,200 p.a.,
- 65% of the total property price if you are a single person 50 years of age or older;
- meet ongoing property requirements and report any change in circumstances.
We're here to help you with your application
If you meet the eligibility criteria the next step is to reach out to our team who can assist with your application. Complete our simple online enquiry form and a team member will be in contact with you shortly.
The application process
Get home and contents insurance worth having
Insurance you can rely on is worth its weight in gold. Help protect your home by making sure you have adequate cover in place. We offer a range of options, great payment flexibility, and we have a dedicated insurance team who can assist you.
Things you should know
Bendigo Bank is a participating lender for NSW Shared Equity Home Buyer Helper, which is an initiative of the New South Wales Government. The information on this page is correct at the time of publishing but may change at any time without notice to you, including as a result of changes to the NSW Shared Equity Home Buyer Helper scheme by the New South Wales Government.
Terms and conditions, fees, charges, eligibility and lending criteria apply. Restrictions and other obligations apply after purchase. Full details available on application. All information is correct as at 19 December 2022 and is subject to change without notice. Find out more at Target Market Determinations for products are available.