$350,000 in grants from the Queensland Bushfire Appeal have gone to the Scenic Rim region to support recovery efforts.
The global pandemic brought many unexpected and unique challenges. Even more so for bushfire recovery across the nation. It was imperative that recovery funding was community led and driven by the most pressing needs of those most affected. Funds assisted those who lost homes, provide fencing for farmers, and upgraded important community infrastructure.
Canungra was severely impacted by the blazes. Funds from the appeal have been instrumental in the recovery of the local community. Supporting not only in the immediate aftermath, but well beyond.
‘As part of the Bendigo Bank family, Community Bank Canungra & District are in a unique and strong position to support community. And we're here help with the medium to long term bushfire recovery,’ said Peter Holzknecht, Branch Manager . ‘It's so important our community members, who are still recovering from the long-term effects, remain connected’.
Thanks to the generous donors, the following projects have been funded:
- QCWA Beechmountain to assist fire affected families;
- Canungra Sports & Recreation - to upgrade the kitchen facilities for community events and replace the roof;
- Canungra School of Arts - upgrade to facilities;
- Canungra State School for the chaplaincy program - supplying support and resilience building to school children;
- Canungra Bowls Club for kitchen upgrade;
- Canungra Rural Fire Service - to purchase a 4x4 to help with transporting the Polaris to fire grounds within the region.
Funding will continue to support the long-term recovery of individuals and the wider community. ‘The new vehicle for the Canungra Rural Fire Service benefits the safety of the entire region. In the event of a fire, it is important the brigade can act swiftly to mitigate damage and the new vehicle is vital to the brigade’s defence,’ said Peter. ‘Replacement of the roof at Canungra Showgrounds will help keep it maintained. Community members will be able to use it to interact and be involvement with local events.’
Thanks to the Tamborine Lions for being the conduit enabling funding to reach the local community groups.
Queensland Bushfire Appeal is administered through the Community Enterprise Foundation, Bendigo Bank’s charitable arm.