Supporting our community
This year, 17 of our Victorian Community Bank® branches joined forces to create ‘Youth Foundation Parkville College’, providing Parkville College students with an opportunity to participate in the Youth Foundation philanthropy program.
The program provides a facilitator to work with the students in custody to seek their ideas for initiatives that would make their communities a better place to live in.
The process empowers the children to understand that their voices are important, their ideas valued, and gives them the satisfaction of achieving something that benefits others.
For a young person to have an idea to make a positive difference to their community, have their voice heard and the project be realized, is truly profound.
Kids end up in detention for many reasons, but usually at the core are backgrounds of neglect, mental illness, poverty and substance abuse.
Parkville College provides education and training for young detainees – making sure young people from all walks of life, no matter their current situation, have access to education.
It also supports young people who have been released from custody and want to continue their education, but are unable to enter into mainstream school.
Some of the most recent youth-led projects include:
Some of the boys at the Malmsbury Youth Detention Centre hosted a multi-cultural event and participated in a cooking class.
This creative project saw a group of boys design their own jumpers, which they wore so proudly through the colder months.
This hands-on educational experience saw a group come face-to-face with some of Australia’s wildlife.
FLC Basketball Ring
With their new basketball hoop, the young people are getting active and having fun.
Songs From Within
A group of young people recorded music in the hope that one day the songs could be released on a CD.
This project has been made possible by the collaboration of the following organisations:
- Sandhurst Trustees
- Heidelberg Community Bank® Branch
- East Ivanhoe Community Bank® Branch
- Warburton Community Bank® Branch
- Yarra Junction Community Bank® Branch
- Boronia Community Bank® Branch
- Ringwood Community Bank® Branch
- Coleraine and District Community Bank® Branch
- Buninyong & District Community Bank® Branch
- Lang Lang Community Bank® Branch
- Pearcedale Community Bank® Branch
- Koo Wee Rup Community Bank® Branch
- Tooradin Community Bank® Branch
- Narre Warren Community Bank® Branch
- Altona Community Bank® Branch
- Laverton Community Bank® Branch
- Point Cook Community Bank® Branch
- Gisborne Community Bank® Branch
- La Trobe University
- Windsor Management Insurance Brokers