Insurance claims FAQs

We resolve all your home, car and travel insurance claims as quickly and simply as possible, helping you every step of the way.

The easiest way to claim is to call us on 132 480. A consultant will then guide you through the process.

Following are our answers to commonly asked questions about our claims process. If you have any other queries, please give us a call, or make an enquiry.

  • How do I make a claim?

    If you need to make a claim on your home, car, travel or landlord policy, call our insurer, CGU on 132 480.

    We can take your calls 24 hours a day.

  • What information do I need to provide?

    The more information you can give our claims consultant, the quicker we can assist.

    Usually, you will need to provide the following:

    • your policy number
    • your personal details
    • a detailed description of the incident
    • the date of the loss or incident
    • the location (address) of the loss or incident
    • details of other parties involved (if applicable).
  • What happens when I make a claim?

    Once your claim is lodged, you’ll be allocated a claims consultant to personally help you. Your consultant will be in contact to let you know the next steps. They will then keep you informed about your claim's progress along the way.

    You’ll also be given a personal claim number. This makes it quick and easy for us to call up your claim, so please use it for all enquiries and when providing claim information.

    Some claims are simple, and others are more involved. Either way, we will work to process your claim as soon as we can.

  • How long will it take to process my claim?

    Our aim is to process your claim as quickly as we can. Some claims can be processed at first contact or in a relatively short time. More complex claims may take longer, as we work carefully through the details.

    Please contact your claims consultant for progress updates. Remember, the more information you provide when you make a claim, the quicker we can process it.

  • What happens if there’s a dispute over who’s at fault?

    If there’s a dispute around who’s at fault, we’re here to help resolve it.

    We will investigate, working to secure full incident descriptions from all parties and any relevant witnesses.

    We will then consider all applicable information to decide who is at fault.

    If you are unhappy with our decision, you can raise the issue through our four-step dispute-resolution process (refer to What is your claim dispute resolution process).

  • Can I arrange replacements or repairs before I lodge my claim?

    We recommend you lodge a claim before arranging any repairs/replacement. We can help you with the process by recommending and facilitating managed repairers who offer quality goods or repairs from authorised businesses.

    However, you are free to choose your own repairer or supplier. To do this, just provide us with a written quote from the supplier. If the quote is determined to be fair and reasonable (that is, comparable to quotes we have received), then you can engage the supplier for the work.

    Our preferred repairers are understanding and supportive, and you can contact them yourself if you need emergency work – for example, for glass or car windscreens.

  • What happens with my excess?

    Payment of excess varies with different policies.

    To find out how much excess you’ll need to pay, check your relevant Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) – we make sure it’s all clearly specified for you.

    An example of how excess varies is our motor insurance. If we determine you are not 'at fault’, you won’t pay any excess. But if you are at fault, we will deduct the excess specified in your insurance policy when you settle your claim.

  • Can someone else make my claim for me?

    Yes, someone else can lodge a claim on your behalf. We just require permission from the policyholder before reviewing any claim.

    If you are not the policyholder and you ring us to lodge a claim, we will ask to verify your personal details and those of the policyholder.

  • What is your claim dispute resolution process?

    If you are unhappy with the way your claim is progressing or wish to dispute a decision we have made, we have a simple, transparent, four-step dispute resolution process.

    Step 1: Talk to us

    If you have a complaint, speak with your claims consultant. If they can’t resolve the matter to your satisfaction, ask to speak to a team manager. If you are still not satisfied with our response, you may seek an independent review.

    Step 2: Seek a review

    For issues not resolved in Step 1, you’ll be referred to our insurer CGU’s Internal Dispute Resolution team, who will conduct a review of your dispute. If you are still not satisfied with our response, you may seek an independent review.

    Step 3: Seek assistance from Bendigo Bank

    If you are unhappy with the claims experience through CGU, call the Customer Feedback Team on 1300 361 911, or contact your local Bendigo Bank Branch.

    Step 4: Seek an independent review

    If you are not satisfied with the response provided you have the option of referring the matter to the Customer Advocate who will impartially assess your complaint, keep you informed of the progress and provide you with a response.

    The Customer Advocate can be contacted by:

    • Telephone - 1300 139 572 (+61 3 5485 7919) between 8:30am and 5:00pm Victorian time, weekdays
    • Email -
    • Post/Letter - write to Customer Advocate, P.O. Box 480, Bendigo, Vic, 3552

    Alternatively (or following consideration by the Customer Advocate) the you may refer your complaint directly to the relevant External Dispute Resolution (EDR) scheme.

    Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS) Australia

    Phone: 1800 367 287
    Fax: (03) 9613 6399
    Postal Address: GPO Box 3 Melbourne, Victoria 3001 (Australia)

    Please feel free to ask your claims consultant for more information about our complaint resolution procedures.

This product is issued by Insurance Australia Limited ABN 11 000 016 722 AFSL 227681 trading as CGU Insurance. Please consider your situation and read the Product Disclosure Statement and consider it before making a decision.