Shopping securely online
At Bendigo Bank we want you to feel as safe as possible when you're shopping online. That's why we've partnered with Mastercard® and Visa to add an additional level of security to your Bendigo Bank Debit or Credit card.
Mastercard Identity Check™ and Verified by Visa help to protect you against unauthorised card use when you shop at participating retailers, giving you confidence when shopping online with your Bendigo Bank Debit or Credit card.
At a participating merchant, you may be asked to verify your identity. This ensures that the owner of the card is the person completing the transaction.
Mastercard Identity Check and Verified by Visa may prompt for a One Time Password during the checkout process at participating online merchants.
Your questions answered
A One Time Password (OTP) is a single use 6-digit password used to verify the identity of a customer. The OTP will be sent to the mobile phone number Bendigo Bank has on file.
Both of these free services protect your card against unauthorised transactions, giving you confidence when shopping online with your Bendigo Bank Debit or Credit card.
The only difference between the two is the branding which is based on the type of card you are using to complete your online purchase. The technology that is used to authenticate you during the purchase remains the same.
Mastercard Identity Check and Verified by Visa request that you verify your identity when making purchases at participating online retailers – giving you the added confidence that only you can use your Bendigo Bank Debit or Credit card.
The communication between you and Bendigo Bank is not visible to the merchant and none of your account information, including your customer number, is ever shared with the merchant.
No. Mastercard Identity Check and Verified by Visa work with your existing Bendigo Bank debit or credit card.
Not all online retailers participate in these services which means you won't be asked to verify your identity at every online purchase. Registered retailers will display the Mastercard Identity Check or Verified by Visa logo on their website. You may have noticed the logos on such sites as www.tigerair.com.au, www.bunnings.com.au or www.giftcards.com.au.
No, you cannot bypass the window which requests your customer number. If you are unable to provide your customer number you will be returned to the online store with the option to continue with another form of payment.
No – both of these services are free.
Browse our help topics
- What is PayID?
- What are the benefits of PayID?
- Who can create a PayID?
- What happens if I lock my PayID?
- What if I don't like my PayID name?
- What happens if the PayID I want to use is already registered by someone else?
- What should I do if I don't receive the six digit verification code when creating a PayID?
- Is it safe to share my PayID?
- Do I need a PayID to make a fast payment?
- Can one PayID be linked to more than one account?
- Can a PayID be used to withdraw money from an account?
- Who can make fast payments?
- How safe and secure is this?
- What time will recurring fast payments be sent?
- How long do I have to approve a payment on a two to sign account?
- Is Osko by BPay different from BPay? Will it replace BPay or BPay View?
- What PayID types can be used?
- Will PayID replace BSBs and account numbers?
- Is PayID secure?
- Can I transfer my PayID to a Bendigo Bank account from another financial institution?
- Do you have to be registered for e-banking to create a PayID?
- Why might an account not be visible when creating a PayID in e-banking?
- Can a PayID be created on a term deposit account?
- What happens if I lose my mobile phone and that number was also my PayID?
- When using a PayID, how do I know I'm paying the right person?
- Can I have multiple PayIDs?
- Can a PayID be used to make or receive overseas payments?
- Who can receive fast payments?
- Can you give me an example of when I might need to use a fast payment?
- Do I have a different payment limit for fast payments?
- Where am I able to see transaction references over 280 characters?
- e-banking help
- Financial difficulty assistance
- Financial abuse
- Deceased estates
- Regular payments
- Affordable banking
- How to reduce your fees
- Closing your account
- Credit and Debit Cards
- Osko and PayID FAQs
- Unclaimed money
- Lost superannuation
- Australian Taxation Office
- Foreign tax resident reporting
- Comprehensive credit reporting