Skip to main content
Locate usPhone:
Financial adviceFuneral Bonds
Bendigo Bank
Personal homeFinancial adviceFuneral Bonds

Foreign tax resident reporting

Australia is one of many countries committed to meeting the global standards relating to the automatic exchange of financial account information.

The law requires that information be collected by financial institutions, including Bendigo and Adelaide Bank, for reporting to relevant tax authorities in their jurisdiction. Tax authorities in each jurisdiction will then exchange this information with each other to help ensure that everyone pays the right amount of tax.

Information reported to Tax authorities in the country/ies of your tax residence is handled in the strictest of confidence, protected by administrative practices, national laws and binding international treaties.

The laws that require us to collect and exchange this information are:

  • Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA) is the United States legislation for customers who may be US residents or citizens for taxation purposes, which came into effect 1 July 2014.
  • Common Reporting Standard (CRS) is the single global standard for the collection, reporting and exchange of financial account information on foreign tax residents, which came into effect 1 July 2017.

What does this mean for you?

You will be required to tell us if you are a tax resident of a country/ies other than Australia, whenever you open an account. This requirement applies to individuals, foreign entities and entities which are controlled by foreign tax residents.

You will be asked to provide your Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) or equivalent before your account can be opened. If you have not been issued with a TIN or equivalent, you will be required to tell us why.

Entity account holders will also be asked about the nature of their business and if any of its controlling persons have a foreign tax obligation.

If we require further information from you, we will contact you asking you to complete our foreign tax details form and a foreign tax glossary will be provided to assist you.

To ensure your customer information is accurate, it is important that you confirm your foreign tax residency status when requested by us to do so. If you do not respond, Bendigo and Adelaide Bank may be required to report your account information to a relevant tax authority.

What should I do if I’m not sure about my country of tax residency?

If you are unsure about your tax residency, please seek professional advice from an independent tax agent or advisor.

Where can I go for further information?

If you have any questions, visit any of our branches or phone 1300 236 344 or if calling from overseas +61 3 5445 0666.


For general information and guidance, please refer to the ATO website search for “Common Reporting Standard”.

Bendigo Bank
Connect with us

Bendigo and Adelaide Bank Limited, ABN 11 068 049 178 AFSL / Australian Credit Licence 237879. Any advice provided on this website is of a general nature only and does not take into account your personal needs, objectives and financial circumstances. You should consider whether it is appropriate for your situation. Please read the applicable Disclosure Documents before acquiring any product described on this website. Please also review our Financial Services Guide (FSG) before accessing information on this website. Information on this page can change without notice to you.

© Copyright 2021 Bendigo and Adelaide Bank